What better dessert for the Fourth of July than a red, white and blue tart? This recipe is a fresh and festive crowd-pleaser, with plenty of room for creativity. You can choose whatever combination of berries you prefer, and even arrange them to look like the American flag, if you're feeling especially ambitious. Regardless, every sweet slice will taste like a truly summery treat.
For the crust:
1 stick of unsalted butter, cold and diced into pea-sized portions
1 1/3 cup of flour, plus extra for dusting
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1 egg yolk
1-2 tablespoon of cold water
1/4 teaspoon of salt
For the filling:
16 ounces of cream cheese at room temperature
1 cup of granulated sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
For the topping:
Sliced strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries – mix and match with a pint of each!
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Use a mixer to combine flour, sugar, salt, and butter.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolk and lemon juice together, and then add them to the dry ingredients.
4. Add 1 tablespoon of water, and then another if the dough looks too dry.
5. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour. Meanwhile, dust the tart pan with flour.
6. Roll out the dough on a floured counter, in the shape of a square or circle, depending on your pan. Press it into the pan and remove any overflowing excess.
7. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until very pale golden brown. Set aside to cool.
8. Use your mixer to combine the filling ingredients until smooth, and then spread evenly into the cooled crust.
9. Arrange the sliced berries on top of the filling. Cover the tart and place it in the refrigerator, and remove it about 20 minutes before eating.
p.s. Another Fourth favorite? 5 minute sangria!