We asked Guest Food & Drink Editor, Ashley Rodriguez, to share one of her favorite simple recipes for feeding family or a crowd and she did not disappoint! These flank steak tacos are delicious and perfect for warm weather (as you can just as easily cook the meat inside as you can on the grill outdoors). Garnish with your choice of fresh taco toppings and voila - dinner is served (no sweat, literally)!
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4-6)
2 tablespoons oil
1 lb flank steak
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
8-10 small corn tortillas
1/4 cup white onion, finely diced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
3 radishes, thinly sliced
1/2 avocado, roughly diced
1/4 cup cotija or other favorite cheese
- Sprinkle the steak with salt and pepper and allow to sit for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Add the oil to a cast iron skillet and heat over high until smoking. Add steak and sear, untouched, for 5 minutes on either side for medium.
- Let rest 15 minutes before dicing into ¼ – ½ inch size pieces.
- Warm corn tortillas in the same pan over low heat.
- Top warmed tortillas with chopped steak, onions, cilantro, radish avocado and cheese. Serve with a wedge of lime.
Flank steak can be a bit tough but it makes up for it in flavor. To counteract the toughness, cut against the grain of the meat and cut the steak into small pieces between 1/4-inch to a 1/2-inch. This way it will be easy to chew as it’s wrapped warmly in a tortilla.
Avocado makes a nice addition as would a garlic-laced cream sauce but on their own they show off their simplicity by being greater than the sum of their parts. Since it is grilling season or my personal favorite; cooking over the fire season, I’d suggest cooking the meat that way, if possible. Any way you cook it this meal will be one that gets made again and again.
p.s. Pairs perfectly with our 5 minute sangria!