We know what you're thinking: salad for breakfast?! No, thanks...pass the pancakes. But trust us when we say it's worth giving this unique twist a shot. Savory granola and greens make for a satisfying--if surprising--start to the morning. Add your favorite fruits and veggies, plus your preferred protein, and the surprising combination becomes both nutritious and delicious.
1 cup of old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
1/3 cup of chopped almonds
1/3 cup of roasted salted cashews
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 tablespoon of Hatchery Nomad Spice Blend
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 large egg white
salad ingredients (see directions below)
DIRECTIONS FOR THE GRANOLA:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Beat egg white in a small bowl, then add olive oil and combine. In a separate large mixing bowl, toss together all nuts, oats, and spices.
2. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine.
3. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Scatter the combined mixture across the sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool while prepping your salad...
DIRECTIONS FOR THE SALAD:
1. Fill a bowl with a green base. We chose arugula, but spinach or kale make great alternatives.
2. Top with slices of your favorite fruits or veggies, like avocado and golden cherry tomatoes.
3. If desired, add an extra protein, like a poached egg.
4. Sprinkle with your homemade savory granola, and enjoy!
p.s. If your taste leans more towards sweet than savory, we recommend our favorite cinnamon rolls.