It’s no secret that we are big fans of simple strategies, even better when said simple strategies make a big impact. When Executive Editor, Amanda Carter Gomes, partnered with Prescribe Nutrition to restore balance to her life, she was looking for approachable, easy to integrate tips into her daily routine. Now that Amanda has completed the program, she is checking in to share what she has learned and more importantly, how she feels. Here’s her experience, in her own words.
When I started on this program a few weeks ago, I had a few goals but no expectations. I consider myself fairly savvy in the way of dietary recommendations at least when it comes to how to eat to help me feel my personal best, but here is the problem: I have not been making the choices to support those goals.
After completing the Prescribe 20 program, I have experienced a noticeable difference, but not in the ways I expected. There is clarity and energy and yes, even balance…at least in my diet. My hormones feel in sync for the first time in 20 month, and that is no small feat. But the part I found most impressive was the ease in which these changes evolved. Simple shifts, not drastic cuts: from 2 cups of coffee in the morning to 1, from pretzels to almonds, from mindless eating when famished, to mindful and healthy meals with those I love - small changes that collectively have made a big difference in the way I look, and most importantly, in the way I feel.
Now I have a guide: recipes I can use, a meal plan that I reference weekly and shopping lists when I am in doubt of what to buy and where. There is room and flexibility, and lots of amazing options and ideas. This pushed me out of my slump, provided the support I needed at a time when I needed it most. Because here is the thing: I did not realize how beneficial this program was until I completed it (hindsight is truly 20/20). Like many things I often put off, if I had known it was going to be this easy I would have done it months ago...add it to my list of lessons learned.
And now, one of my favorite recipes from the program - the perfect snack on-the-go and a great transition from the processed bar that was my typical morning breakfast fare.
PN CHEWY BARS (Makes 10 bars)
1 ¾ cups gluten-free rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds
⅓ cup shelled pistachios
⅔ cup cocoa nibs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup almond butter
½ cup honey
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Line an 8 inch square pan with two strips parchment paper, overlapping each other in each direction.
2. Briefly pulse the oats in the food processor or blender to break them up. You don’t want to turn them into a flour, just break them down slightly.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the oats, almonds, pistachios, cocoa nibs and cinnamon. In a small bowl, mix the almond butter, honey and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix together until everything is well coated.
4. Scoop the mixture into the 8 inch pan. Pack the mixture down as firmly and evenly as possible using the back of a spatula - you may want to cover the mixture in parchment if you’re finding this too sticky!
5. Cover with foil and refrigerate for one hour or more. Remove the mixture by lifting the parchment paper, then slice into bars with a sharp knife.
p.s. Are you feel sluggish, or simply out of sorts? Prescribe Nutrition is offering a 20% discount on their next Prescribe 20 program to Clementine readers with the code: clementinedaily. The program starts on April 3 and I cannot recommend it enough, it literally put the spring in my step this season!
This post is in partnership with Prescribe Nutrition - a program we support and love! All opinions (and health confessions) are our own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Clementine Daily possible!