How To Find Work You Love

Clementine Editor Robin Reetz shares who and what she works for, inspired by the #IWorkFor campaign with Indeed.
Avatar:
Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
7
indeedtitle

Image Credit: Robin Reetz

Career has always been a big part of my life. Like many stories you’ve heard before, I was lucky enough to know what I wanted to do from a young age (or so I thought), and was determined to make it happen!

Magazines were my future, I was convinced. I envisioned myself as a lean, mean editor-in-chief at a New York magazine. I read Anna Wintour’s biography and mapped out my college years perfectly so that I would be able to intern at as many New York-based magazines as possible – all while studying fashion and working at the school newspaper.

I knew what I wanted to do, all right.

I got into the world of magazines right after I graduated from college thanks to some serious dedication and a stack of resumes, and my work in fashion and lifestyle publishing and e-commerce took off. I’ve found my freelance and full time jobs through the years in various ways – I’ve built industry connections which has certainly helped, but a big part of finding work that you love is staying on top of what’s going on in your chosen job field. Even when not looking for a job, I’m known to spend time on Indeed and make coffee dates with friends in the industry just to see what’s out there. Being a part of a competitive world like fashion means staying in touch and up to date on trends, and I thank both my late night searches and connections for keeping me in touch. It’s something I recommend to anyone at any stage in their career!

I loved my work and the first few years of my career as I knew I would, but after some time, something no longer felt right. Seeing a business you love and admire up close and personal can do that to a girl. But, I stuck with it. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to work with some amazing people in some incredible places, and still call that industry home.

In the earlier days as I was just getting started, I used to enjoy the glamorous side of my work and be lying if I said I was not initially attracted to the illusion of prestige that comes with industry . But these were things that only fulfilled me temporarily, and not at all for the right reasons.

Now I write and I blog, but I work for a different reason than I used to – these days, I work for community and connection. I can honestly say that my favorite part about my job is also the part that I least expected – the incredible people and positivity I found online.

Through blogging and writing I’ve established my voice, and this is in large part due to the support and encouragement of the connections I have made. I’ve learned more about who I am and what I want, both personally and professionally.

It’s not where I thought I would be when I first started plotting my career around age 11, or when I began laying the foundation for my career at 18, or moved to New York at 23. But it’s been the best surprise, and I am grateful for all the experiences that came before because they lead me to where I am today. Now, I write genuinely and openly on topics that I find meaningful and relevant (fashion still being one of those topics!), and have discovered the thing I value most in my role - community.

indeed2

Image Credit: Robin Reetz

I can now say, without hesitation, I love my job.

We're so curious, friends: What do you work for? Do you like your job? Are you on the hunt or content with your chosen profession?

This post is in partnership with Indeed, a site we’ve used for years. All opinions are our own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Clementine Daily possible!